[vtk-developers] New to Gitlab - pre-commit hook failure when trying to commit new files

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 00:16:48 EST 2017

Hi Jon,

Welcome to git (and VTK).  When the commit hook says "tab in indent," it is
disallowing the commit because your code contains tab characters.  In other
words, you tried to commit, but it refused.

The "no tabs" rule is part of the basic "no changes should be invisible"
guideline for code revision control.  Let's say that you edited a file that
was already in the repository, converted some of the 4-space indents to tab
characters, and then pushed it back to the repository.  To you, the code
would look exactly the same, that is, the changes would be invisible to
you.  But the git revision log would show that a change had occurred.
Also, to other developers who had their editor set to a 2-space (or
8-space) tabstop, the code would look very different.

Your editor (assuming that it is a code editor and not a simple text
editor) will have an option to convert tabs to spaces when you save the
file.

"Traling whitespace" or extra spaces at the end of a line are also
forbidden, because they are generally invisible to the person who is
editing the code, but they show up in the git revision logs.  A good editor
will either have an option to highlight this trailing whitespace so that
you can remove it, or an option to automatically remove it when the the
file is saved.

In summary: you'll have to adjust your editor settings so that it writes
files that conform to the pre-commit hook.

 - David