[vtk-developers] hdf5 using vtk6

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Fri Feb 24 02:36:17 EST 2017

Hi Chiranjib,

Den 23 feb. 2017 3:38 em skrev "Chiranjib Sur" <sur.chiranjib at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
> I was wondering how HDF5 data can be handled in VTK6.
>
> With google, I could not find any recent updates on HDF5 support for VTK6.
>
> Can anyone point me towards the APIs / Classes which I can see and learn
a bit more.

> Currently, I use "vtkPolydata" for my simulation and while I am thinking
about scaling, HDF5 came into my mind.

> Any pointers will be very much appreciated.

I don't think VTK has any built-in support for HDF5 per se. It does have
support for XDMF, which uses HDF5 for the "heavy data".

For our use case (volumetric data), we wrote our own simple
vtkImageAlgorithm to read our custom HDF5 based volume format. It uses the
regular HDF5 library from the HDF Group.

I think that's the approach you need to take with VTK if you have some
custom HDF5 based format.

Hope that helps,
Elvis