[vtk-developers] VTK python wrapping - returning binary buffer to python?

Aron Helser aron.helser at kitware.com
Fri Aug 4 09:45:13 EDT 2017

Hi David, all,

I'm trying to re-write a C++ VTK method used in VTK web, to get rid of a
base-64 string encoding of an image - so the C++ method I'm working on
returns a buffer in a vtkUnsignedCharArray* to python. As a result, the
python wrapping seems to return a 'str' type in both Python 2 and 3.

The new result I want to return is a binary buffer (a raw JPG) - I tried
returning the new result with the same type, and it gets cut off at the
first null in the buffer. Is there a vtk return type should I be using
instead?

I've seen 'numpy_support' possibly used for this (and David D says he's
used it in Cinema) but I'm not sure how it applies.

Thanks!
Aron