[vtk-developers] Using system fonts on Windows (fontconfig equivalent?)

David Lonie david.lonie at kitware.com
Tue Apr 11 16:00:15 EDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 3:54 PM, Elvis Stansvik
<elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com> wrote:
> Would it make sense as future improvement to add a VTK module similar
> to vtkRenderingFreeTypeFontConfig, but which interfaces with the
> Windows font backend?

Sure, that would be useful.

> How are people dealing with this in VTK applications today? Do they
> just accept that fonts in VTK will look out of place compared to
> surrounding UI elements and other programs (and not respecting the
> user's font settings)? What's the situation on macOS? We're planning a
> port to macOS as well, and would of course like to respect the user's
> font choice there as well.

Most of the applications I'm aware of that use a consistent font
across components with VTK do so by specifying a font file explicitly
as part of their distribution, or just settle for matching
serif/sans-serif/monospace properties.

HTH,
Dave