[vtk-developers] ready to branch for 8.0.0?

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Sat Apr 8 07:31:53 EDT 2017

Apologies for not saying so earlier but I'm going to delay 8.0 to give
people time to make the changes mentioned in this thread and because the
project that requested it slackened. I'm now aiming for a May 1st branch.

8.0.1 will come from the 8.0.0 tag (at that point aka release branch) and
only if important bugs turn up in 8.0.0.

8.1 will come from master a few months down the road.

On Thursday, April 6, 2017, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 09:24:22 -0400, Cory Quammen said:
>
> >VTK 8.0.0 seems like a good target for some of the bigger API change
> >merge requests that have been put off for a while Examples include:
> >
> >https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/1455
> >https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/917
> >
> >If we are aspiring toward using semantic versioning [1], now would be
> >the time to make such API changes. And document them nicely as well,
> >of course.
>
> Even though I authored those MRs, it seems to me too late to merge them
> since the 8.0 branch is imminent.  Maybe after 8.0 is branched, they could
> be merged to master?  Will an eventual 8.0.1 or 8.1 come from master or the
> 8.0 branch?  It is indeed not clear when such breaking changes can actually
> get merged...
>
> Cheers,

> <javascript:;>

David E DeMarle