[vtk-developers] OffScreenRendering crash on CircleCI (Mac OSX)

Sankhesh Jhaveri sankhesh.jhaveri at kitware.com
Thu Apr 6 16:21:13 EDT 2017

Hi Sean,

I understand. The issue is cataloged here:
https://github.com/UV-CDAT/vcs/issues/130

The issue only occurs on a CircleCI provisioned container and I was unable
to reproduce it on a physical machine. By asking this question here, I
wanted to see if anyone else has come across and tackled this issue.

Since my previous email, I was able to test a sample OpenGL application and
reproduce the crash on a CircleCI VM, indicating it is an opengl/driver
issue specific to circleci machines.

Thanks,
Sankhesh

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 3:38 PM Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 20:57:55 +0000, Sankhesh Jhaveri said:

>We’re running into a strange crash on mac containers (OSX 10.11.6) created
>by CircleCI with VTK (OpenGL backend).
>
>VTK compiles fine and seems to work with OffScreenRenderingOff but crashes
>at the first OpenGL call with OffScreenRenderingOn(). Unfortunately, I
>can’t reproduce this on my mac machine and haven’t been able to make
>headway within the half hour that CircleCI provides.
>
>Again, this is the OpenGL backend. No crashes with the OpenGL2 backend.
>If anyone has come across this or has an idea how to debug/reproduce/fix
>this, kindly drop me a hint.

Sankhesh,

You don't give enough information for anyone to help you.  If you can't
reproduce, what can any of us say if we don't even have your code?  :)  How
about at least a backtrace of the crash, that might be something someone
recognises.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com

Sankhesh Jhaveri *Sr. Research & Development Engineer* | Kitware
<http://www.kitware.com/> | (518) 881-4417
​