[vtk-developers] hold of on merges for an hour or so please

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 16:43:37 EDT 2016

I don't think that just running the scripts will magically clear
conflicts... it would have to be part of a larger workflow, and I'm not
enough of a git master to develop such a workflow.

In any case, here's how to run my script on a few files:

    python Utilities/Maintenance/vtk_reindent_code.py file1.h file2.cxx ...

and on all of VTK, which a person can do after a rebase in order to make
sure no brace changes were missed anywhere:

    for d in Charts Common Deprecated Domains Examples Filters GUISupport \
             Geovis IO Imaging Infovis Interaction Parallel Rendering \
             Testing Views Web Wrapping; do
      for e in cxx cxx.in txx txx.in hxx hxx.in h h.in c c.in; do
        find "${d}" -name "*.${e}" -exec \
          python Utilities/Maintenance/vtk_reindent_code.py {} +
      done
    done

Running it on all of VTK can take a while, so running it on just a few
files is best in most cases.  It's possible to see all files changed by a
branch with the following command:

    git diff --name-only origin/master...branch

Regarding the doxygen script, it can be run like this:

    perl Utilities/Doxygen/doc_header2doxygen.pl --to output/ file1.h
file2.h ...

So unlike the reindent script, it doesn't modify the files in-place, it
needs an output directory.

 - David