[vtk-developers] Fwd: VTK7 debian packages for Ubuntu 16.04

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Tue Sep 20 10:23:04 EDT 2016

> Yep I saw that, but my question is: can I install the package via APT? In
> that case, which repo should I install on my system? Ubuntu 16.04 APT repos
> only have vtk5 and vtk6 by default. My idea is to install vtk with a simple
> command like:
>
>     apt-get install vtk7 vtk7-dev
>
> or something similar. In the worst case scenario, can I generate a .deb
> package by my own using CPack and upload it to my APT repo?

Hi Francisco,

As you can see in the bug report linked by Mathieu, Ghislain (package
maintainer) has withdrawn his intention to package VTK 7 :( I didn't
know this (I was in contact with Ghislain a few months ago, asking
what the progress was).

As we needed packages of VTK 7 for work (where we use Kubuntu 16.04).
I made a single VTK 7 package and uploaded it to this PPA:

    https://launchpad.net/~elvstone/+archive/ubuntu/vtk7

You can add the repository and install the package with:

    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:elvstone/vtk7
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install vtk7

But note that:

    1) This VTK build might not be configured exactly like you want
(see the PPA for what CMake options I used).
    2) I'm not updating the PPA anymore as we've switched to using an
internal APT repo, feel free take my package and make your own.
    3) The package does not follow Debian packaging policies, e.g:
        - It installs everything to /opt/VTK-7.0.0 (to not conflict
with VTK 6 packages from main repos)
        - It's one single package (no split -dev packages)

Regarding Python, this package has Python 3 bindings (though since I
made the package, we've switched to C++ here at work).

Hope this PPA can be of use until someone steps up to do a proper
Debian packaging of VTK 7.

Cheers,
Elvis