[vtk-developers] [vtkusers] poll - vtk doxygen style

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Sat Sep 17 18:47:44 EDT 2016

Hi Andrew,

> For what it is worth, I also believe that documentation should be with the declaration simply because the header files are the ones people tend to first look at not the definition. This is what VTK currently does. ...

I think that moving method (not class) documentation out of the headers makes the headers much more terse and legible. For the vast majority of classes, the method names themselves are enough documentation. In cases where method names are not enough, it is nice to have the implementation nearby. Methods with inline or macro-generated implementations would still have documentation in the header, as would enums.

    David