[vtk-developers] Adding a connectivity filter for image data

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 15:40:19 EDT 2016

Hi All,

Yesterday I finally put together an MR for the vtkImageConnectivityFilter
that I wrote a long time ago:
http://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/1946

The action of this filter is similar to the ScalarConnectivityOn() mode of
vtkConnectivityFilter, with the difference that vtkImageConnectivityFilter
labels connected points (its output is a label image with the same
dimensions as the input image), whereas vtkConnectivityFilter extracts
connected cells as an unstructured grid.

More documentation is provided on this wiki page that I wrote two years
ago, before I was sidetracked by other projects:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Image_Connectivity

It provides the usual modes of operation like extracting the largest
region, extracting seeded regions, and it also allows the regions to be
ranked and filtered by size since this is a useful way of identifying
features of interest.

 - David