[vtk-developers] Retrieving the width of vtkVectorText

Seun Odutola seun at rogue-research.com
Fri Oct 21 09:55:52 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

	 I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I have a scenario where I have a text caption (vtkVectorText) attached to a vtkFollower, however I also have a mesh and would always like to have this caption not intersecting the mesh at all times depending on the camera angle, be it having it in front of the mesh or by its side away from it by some predetermined distance (the width of the text). Basically, the vtkFollower and vtkVectorText coupled together gives me the desired effect of having the text always facing the camera however, if you consider the screenshots below you can see screen shot (front view) displays these 3 captions placed in their appropriate positions with point 2 intersecting the mesh and can hardly be seen. Now consider screen shot (rotated on Y axis) and you see point 2 based on the camera is no longer intersecting the mesh as it’s reoriented by the vtkFollower accordingly and thus completely visible. I would like to know how I can retrieve the exact size as in width of the text so I can always position the captions at a distance enough to prevent this occlusion.

Regards,
   Seun