[vtk-developers] [vtkusers] HiDPI not working on VTK 7.1.0 rc2

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri Nov 4 14:36:56 EDT 2016

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 8:28 AM, Michael Jackson
<mike.jackson at bluequartz.net> wrote:
> I just tried the HiDPI support on VTK 7.1.0-rc2 and I get the usual VTK
> rendering canvas that is half the size of the widget that it is embedded
> into.
>
> We are using Qt 5.6.2 on macOS 10.10.5. I compiled my original pull request
> (way back in Aug 2016) and that patch gives me a full size canvas. But when
> compiling the latest VTK 7.1.0-rc2 I get the half size canvas. I thought the
> branch was merged on Sept 28 2016 but I guess I got busy and never actually
> tested it on a retina screen.
>
> Most likely I am doing something wrong in the initialization in my code but
> just in case can anyone else confirm with Qt 5.6.x that they can actually
> get a Retina/HiDPI canvas?

Bob has a retinal Mac that I can do some testing on, this is likely to
end up being after Supercomputing, but I would like to follow up on
this. We had it working when you visited, and I am hoping to get this
enabled in Tomviz at some point soon. It would be great to hear from
Sean and/or David. To the best of my recollection an alternate
approach was developed, and that was merged. It had several other
changes in addition to what was proposed originally.

I can look at cherry-picking the patch we developed when you were out,
and going over what may have not made it into current master if this
isn't working. Posting this to developers as it feels like more of a
development issue to me, I got busy and didn't get around to testing
master once it was merged (and don't have easy access to a retinal
machine, but I can walk across to Bob's office to borrow one).

I will see about getting Tomviz set up there, and attempt to enable
retinal in the Qt API for the application which is also based on Qt
5.6+