[vtk-developers] Commit log guidelines

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Tue May 17 17:35:43 EDT 2016

Sean,

A couple of things.
a. These will only be guidelines, a reference to point to developers
when they come up with commit messages; not rules, so no one should
really be forcing anyone to stick to 50/60/ char limit or (3) or (4).
b. I've found myself reviewing 1 line commit logs and hate being a nag
telling people to amend it. Wondered why we don't have a set of
guidelines to refer developers to to help guide them.

A quick google and this is what I found. Thought rather than every
reviewer suggesting different styles for commit logs when guiding
developers, it would be better if we had a short list of agreed upon
guidelines.

Utkarsh