[vtk-developers] About the vtkDataArray::InsertTuple() method

David Lonie david.lonie at kitware.com
Thu Mar 24 12:11:31 EDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com>
wrote:

> In my 2 cases, it's always appending to the end of the data array.  I
> guess I could use InsertNextValue() instead, if I understand it correctly.

You're correct, InsertNextValue would work just fine (and should probably
be called "Append" or "PushBack" to keep up with modern conventions).

> I think your point #2 is quite valid.  Since it's not *inserting*, but
> rather *replacing*, then the API name is very confusing.  A deprecate and
> rename is in order IMHO.

I 100% agree. Trouble is, as Bill's thread shows, there's always push back
from some developers for these sorts of changes. Whether it improves the
API or not, it creates work for legacy maintainers, and they often feel
that the extra work is unneeded. Trying to address issues like the
vtkDataArray API inconsistencies feels like an impossible balancing act --
there's no solution that satisfies everyone :-(

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Simon ESNEAULT <simon.esneault at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> As a user, I believe that kind of change makes perfect sense, these
> functions are just confusing.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm genuinely interested in how the majority of
the developer community feels about these sorts of topics. Anyone else want
to share an opinion?

Dave