[vtk-developers] broken vtkAssembly design

Petar Petrov pip010 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 09:51:48 EST 2016

Hi David,

that's even better. However, isn't the camera info passed polymorphic-aly
through some base class pointer?
Or vtkFollower is listening on camera change? Let me dig in more.

However, you do agree it needs some fixing ? :)

Cheers,
Petar

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 3:30 PM, David E DeMarle <dave.demarle at kitware.com>
wrote:

> Why not a "has a" pattern? Ie give the vtkAssembly an optional Camera or
> Prop or what not ivar. If present, use it to make it act the way you want.
>
> David E DeMarle
> Kitware, Inc.
> R&D Engineer
> 21 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
> Phone: 518-881-4909
>
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 4:16 AM, Petar Petrov <pip010 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello community,
>>
>> quick question about redesign of vtkAssembly:
>> A while back someone reported that vtkFollowers added to vtkAssembly
>> loose their main feature, namely facing the camera at all times.
>> However, this to be solved a major? redesign is needeed:
>> vtkAssembly to inherit from vtkFollower and not vtkProp, so one can pass
>> camera information to vtkAssembly via SetCamera method.
>>
>> Any idea why that is not the case? Is it trivial or there is more to it?
>>
>> at that point I am faced with 2 options, either fix vtkAssembly or drop
>> its use and replace it with my own reinvent the wheel when it comes to
>> composite 3D objects in vtk.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> petar

All the best,