[vtk-developers] broken vtkAssembly design

Petar Petrov pip010 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 04:16:37 EST 2016

Hello community,

quick question about redesign of vtkAssembly:
A while back someone reported that vtkFollowers added to vtkAssembly loose
their main feature, namely facing the camera at all times.
However, this to be solved a major? redesign is needeed:
vtkAssembly to inherit from vtkFollower and not vtkProp, so one can pass
camera information to vtkAssembly via SetCamera method.

Any idea why that is not the case? Is it trivial or there is more to it?

at that point I am faced with 2 options, either fix vtkAssembly or drop its
use and replace it with my own reinvent the wheel when it comes to
composite 3D objects in vtk.

Cheers,
petar