[vtk-developers] Removing the BTX/ETX markers from VTK code

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 14:08:15 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 26 May 2016 10:08:18 -0600, David Gobbi said:
>
> >the wrappers.  And I plan to expand this into the following:
> >
> >__VTK_WRAP__                      // pre-defined by all wrapping tools
> >__VTK_WRAP_PYTHON___   // pre-defined by vtkWrapPython
> >
> >etc. for the other wrapper tools, so that you know what tool is processing
> >the
> >header file.
>
> David,
>
> If you could get rid of the double underscores while you're at it, that'd
> be great. :)

I hate to break it to you, but vtkWrapPython pre-defines a whole bunch of
double-underscore macros.  It has to, otherwise it wouldn't work.

Examples:

__STDC__
__cplusplus

And on OS X:

__APPLE__
__DARWIN__

It's absolutely necessary for the wrapping tool executables to pre-define
such macros, because otherwise they cannot mimic a compiler.

When I see a macro like "VTK_WRAP", I'd assume it's defined in a header
somewhere.  So the use of __VTK_WRAP__ clearly indicates that the macro is
pre-defined by the executable.

 - David