[vtk-developers] Overriding member functions warnings with recent versions of clang/LLVM.

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Jun 1 10:48:02 EDT 2016

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 09:44:29 +1000, Andrew Maclean said:

>If you build VTK on OX X El Capitan with LLVM 7.3.0 you will get lots of
>these warnings:
>-------
>warning: 'PrintSelf' overrides a member function but is not marked
>'override' [-Winconsistent-missing-override]
>
>  virtual void PrintSelf(ostream& os, vtkIndent indent);
>-------
>To suppress them just add:
>-Wno-inconsistent-missing-override to CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS.
>
>Apparently the -Winconsistent-missing-override flag now automatically gets
>added with -Wall on recent versions of clang.

Andrew,

The warning has been default for a while now, you're seeing them now because I merged the first use of 'override' in VTK a while ago, as discussed on this list.  Until VTK fully uses 'override' everywhere as appropriate, you'll need to disable that warning.

I'm investigating using clang-tidy's modernize-use-override to automate it:

<http://clang.llvm.org/extra/clang-tidy/checks/modernize-use-override.html>

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com