[vtk-developers] Number of neighbours for each cell

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Fri Jul 22 08:08:39 EDT 2016

I don't know of such a filter but it would be easy to put together.
Certainly it would be another useful tool in the topological analysis
toolbox.

Question: what is your definition of a neighbor? Connected at a vertex or
along an edge? I suppose if we were to write such a filter the definition
of a neighbor would be an optional parameter. I also suggest that this be a
general filter so the same analysis could be applied to unstructured grids,
etc. or to polygonal meshes with other than triangle cells.

Best,

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 6:51 AM, Lodron, Gerald <Gerald.Lodron at joanneum.at>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a mesh (vtkPolyData with all triangles) where i want to visualize
> the number of neighbouring cells/triangles for each cell/triangle. (I later
> may want to threshold/filter it with that number to remove “noisy”
> triangles on border with low number of neighbours)
>
> Is there a filter for that available?
>
> Best regards
>

> *------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
> *Gerald Lodron*
>
> Researcher of Machine Vision Applications Group
> DIGITAL - Institute for Information and Communication Technologies
>
> JOANNEUM RESEARCH Forschungsgesellschaft mbH
> Steyrergasse 17, 8010 Graz, AUSTRIA
>
> phone:   +43-316-876-1751
> general fax: +43-316-876-1751
> web: *http://www.joanneum.at/digital* <http://www.joanneum.at/digital>
> e-mail: *gerald.lodron at joanneum.at* <gerald.lodron at joanneum.at>

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc. - Building the World's Technical Computing Software
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065
will.schroeder at kitware.com
http://www.kitware.com