[vtk-developers] A single ExternalData folder for multiple variants of VTK. Is it possible?

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 02:02:02 EDT 2016

Hi All,

I have been looking through the documentation and user groups and can't
find any solution to needless duplication of ExternalData in the build
directories when building different versions of VTK.

Also does  VTK_DATA_STORE now replace VTK_DATA?
According to my testing, they seem to be interchangeable.

Is it possible to have only one ExternalData directory available to all
builds of VTK?

In my current configuration I have:
(the . represents the rest of the absolute path)
.\Kitware\src\VTK\
.\Kitware\src\VTKExternalData\
With  VTK_DATA_STORE set to .\Kitware\src\VTKExternalData\ (the default and
sibling setting)
and  VTK_DATA_EXCLUDE_FROM_ALL is configured as OFF.

When I build a Debug and a Release version of VTK I get the following:
.\Kitware\build\VTK-Debug\ExternalData
.\Kitware\build\VTK-Release\ExternalData

Is it possible to have one ExternalData directory in say for example:
.\Kitware\build\ExternalData
Just to stop needless duplication?

FYI:
.\Kitware\src\VTKExternalData\ just contains a single folder called MD5.
.\Kitware\build\VTK-Debug\ExternalData\ contains 15 subfolders with the
test files and their md5-stamp.

Regards
   Andrew
Andrew J. P. Maclean