[vtk-developers] Avoiding MR stagnation (was: rules proposal drop "+1")

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Jul 7 14:32:43 EDT 2016

> This is the real reason people are hesitant to +2.  If we strengthen
> the meaning of +1 then people will just say "LGTM" or something else
> to "approve" without taking responsibility.  Posting +1 is a common
> convention for voting and should not be given stronger meaning.

How widespread is the non-binary and easier to misinterpret +1/+2 system? I
had to explain it to someone recently and they looked at me really funny.

> The real problem we'd like to address is stagnation of MRs that
> are ready but not merged.  The syntax for approving is not very
> important.

Yes it won't solve the problem, but I think this cultural change will help
a tad.

We should identify reasons MRs stagnate and address
> them directly:

Agree.

> * It may be a governance problem.  No one has responsibility
>   to ensure everything that is ready gets merged.

Agree.

* I think the big thing is the time problem Will mentioned. Each merge
request adds work to uninvolved developers. If our standard is that we only
give approval after hours to days of thorough review in the general case
then something is broken. If a cursory review says that probably isn't
necessary than just give the approval and trust the author to follow
through. If it looks like that is necessary than just day so rather than
giving a whishy washy +1.

The +1=="LGTM but don't merge" adds nothing of value.

* I've also been convinced that the reviewer should not be responsible for
monitoring the dashboards at all. Except in the case of newbie authors who
don't know how to monitor the dashboards, we should trust each others
capabilities and make the original author solely responsible. The important
exception is when the original author is a newbie who probably isn't
familiar with the dashboards.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer