[vtk-developers] vtkPointCloud remote module

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Thu Jan 28 11:49:16 EST 2016

I've actually got several baseline images to push in. I'll try and do this
tonight when I have more time.

BTW thanks for your help Bill, the remote module stuff you added is very
nice and I see there are some nice modules starting to appear like DICOM
(David Gobbi ?), Poisson reconstruction and some Slicer code.

Best,

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Will,
>
> To build as a remote module, users should place the attached file in
> vtk_source_directory/Remote
>
> Then
> 1) cd vtk_build_directory
> 2) cmake -DModule_vtkPointCloud:BOOL=ON ../VTK
> 2) make
>

> I just tried it and it built great on my mac. It is missing a baseline
> image.
>
> Bill
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Will Schroeder
> <will.schroeder at kitware.com> wrote:
> > FYI- I have committed an initial set of filters for performing point
> cloud
> > processing. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome as this is an initial
> > prototype. The work is currently available as a remote module to VTK
> > (vtkPointCloud) via this repository:
> > https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/point-cloud.git
> >
> > A couple of notes:
> > + Right now I am using vtkPolyData to represent the point cloud via a
> > vtkPoints instance. There are no vtkVertex, vtkPolyVertex cells created
> > save on memory.
> > + The classes will process as input any vtkPointSet dataset
> > + There is a general framework for filtering point clouds via the class
> > vtkPointCloudFilter. Besides their filtered cloud output, these filters
> also
> > have an optional, second output which contains any points removed from
> the
> > input.
> > + Current filters include vtkRadiusOutlierRemoval,
> > vtkStatisticalOutlierRemoval, vtkExtractPoints (extract points using an
> > implicit function). Some of  these names are inspired by PCL names.
> > + All filters are threaded using vtkSMPTools using a threaded locator
> > (vtkStaticPointLocator) so I believe that this is relatively fast,
> although
> > I have not done much testing.
> > + I'm using vtkPointGaussianMapper in the tests, a class that Ken wrote
> that
> > is very fast.
> >
> > As usual comments and suggestions are requested. In particular any
> > suggestions for other filters to write are welcome (to round out some of
> the
> > core functionality). The repository is in flux as I try crazy ideas and
> try
> > to educate myself, so be forewarned.
> >
> > Best,

> http://markmail.org/search/?q=vtk-developers

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc. - Building the World's Technical Computing Software
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065
will.schroeder at kitware.com
http://www.kitware.com