[vtk-developers] vtkPointCloud remote module

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Thu Jan 28 10:03:20 EST 2016

Thanks for the feedback. I have some downsampling filters in the works now,
I'll let you know when I have something ready.

BTW we are on a similar path. PCL is awesome, but we have some common
workflows that would be better served with more compact software
environments, and with minimal IO and/or data transfer. So we're trying to
knock of a small kernel of capability to achieve this.

Best,

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Geoff Wright <gpwright at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Will,
>
> This is good to see.  I'm currently using VTK to generate surfaces from
> some point cloud data.  I have some initial pre processing steps that I use
> PCL (point cloud library) for, and then a vtk stage that converts PCL point
> cloud into vtkPolyData/vtkPoints.  It would be great to eliminate the PCL
> dependency and use exclusively vtk.  My point cloud data grows very large
> over time with a lot of redundant points so its very important to
> downsample them onto uniform spacing (
> http://docs.pointclouds.org/trunk/classpcl_1_1_voxel_grid.html ) before
> processing them in vtk.  Would it make sense to add something like this to
> your library?
>
> Geoff
>

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 9:12 AM Will Schroeder <will.schroeder at kitware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> FYI- I have committed an initial set of filters for performing point
>> cloud processing. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome as this is an
>> initial prototype. The work is currently available as a remote module to
>> VTK (vtkPointCloud) via this repository:
>> https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/point-cloud.git
>>
>> A couple of notes:
>> + Right now I am using vtkPolyData to represent the point cloud via a
>> vtkPoints instance. There are no vtkVertex, vtkPolyVertex cells created to
>> save on memory.
>> + The classes will process as input any vtkPointSet dataset
>> + There is a general framework for filtering point clouds via the class
>> vtkPointCloudFilter. Besides their filtered cloud output, these filters
>> also have an optional, second output which contains any points removed from
>> the input.
>> + Current filters include vtkRadiusOutlierRemoval,
>> vtkStatisticalOutlierRemoval, vtkExtractPoints (extract points using an
>> implicit function). Some of  these names are inspired by PCL
>> <http://pointclouds.org/> names.
>> + All filters are threaded using vtkSMPTools using a threaded locator
>> (vtkStaticPointLocator) so I believe that this is relatively fast, although
>> I have not done much testing.
>> + I'm using vtkPointGaussianMapper in the tests, a class that Ken wrote
>> that is very fast.
>>
>> As usual comments and suggestions are requested. In particular any
>> suggestions for other filters to write are welcome (to round out some of
>> the core functionality). The repository is in flux as I try crazy ideas and
>> try to educate myself, so be forewarned.
>>
>> Best,

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc. - Building the World's Technical Computing Software
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065
will.schroeder at kitware.com
http://www.kitware.com