[vtk-developers] vtkAxis class considerations

joaoroberto88 joaorobertojr88 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 22:05:20 EST 2016

Hi Devs,

Last week I was coding an application that uses vtkAxis class. Since I faced
an issue about tick labels overlapping, I decided to investigate its source
code. I would like do contribute to the project, so I share below some
points about my investigation and we can discuss what can be done to
fix/implement them or just leave as they are.

1. X-axis tick labels overlapping: when I use a custom list of labels
(relatively big) via vtkAxis::SetCustomTickPositions method they appear
overlapped (shown here
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Issue-when-setting-number-of-ticks-on-a-vtkAxis-td5735645.html).
As mentioned, the number of ticks isn't respected. Is it correct? Should
that list of ticks be managed outside of the class or is it a requirement
that the implementation adjusts them automatically?

2. Neither vtkAxis::Shift or vtkAxis::ScalingFactor private attributes are
used. Additionally, there are documented get and set methods for them. Is it
proposital? In negative case, what should be exactly the requirements?

Thanks,

Joao Roberto.