[vtk-developers] Checking SMP backend at runtime/compiletime?

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Feb 25 10:20:05 EST 2016

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 11:25:37 -0500, Berk Geveci said:

>David beat me to the punch :-) I expect that Apple with support OpenMP in
>the next year or two, at least on the desktop.

I encourage everyone that would like to see that file a ticket at:
<https://bugreport.apple.com>

Like anyone, they prioritize (partly) based on number of requests.

>(vector instructions) and AFAIK the only other way Clang supports SIMD is
>through auto-vectorization, which is limited. I don't see them supporting
>only SIMD so I would guess that they will pull the whole OpenMP support.

Clang also supports various vector extensions:
<http://clang.llvm.org/docs/LanguageExtensions.html#vectors-and-extended-vectors>

>> Why not include it?  How is it different from how VTK includes NetCDF,
>HDF5, zlib, libpng, and a zillion other 3rd party libs?
>
>Good question. I don't know how/where we draw the line with these. OpenGL &
>MPI are external dependencies whereas the ones you listed are included as
>third party. I have a few reasons why I wouldn't want to include it:
>
>* TBB license language may scare off some people as demonstrated by this
>thread. Although the license is totally fine, I'd rather avoid answering
>questions about the TBB license from those that do a license check in VTK.
>* TBB is a fairly complex beast because of platforms/compilers it supports
>(at fairly low level) and I'd rather avoid writing CMake files &
>maintaining them
>
>I don't have any strong attachment to this view however.

OK thanks.  We'll see when we get there I guess... :)

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com