[vtk-developers] RequestUpdateExtent not called after modified

Jé Velut jerome.velut at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 03:01:33 EST 2016

Dear all,

I am struggling with the pipeline mechanism.
I wrote an image reader that wraps the ITK gdcm reader. When I change the
directory,
the reader does update. However, if the extent of the second volume is
larger than the
first one, I get the warning message :

ERROR: In
C:\Users\Jerome\Dev\VTK\vtk-src\Common\ExecutionModel\vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline.cxx,
line 857
vtkCompositeDataPipeline (000002913075DB70): The update extent specified in
the information for output port 0 on algorithm
vtkITKGDCMImageReader(000002913074A470) is 0 255 0 255 0 255, which is
outside the whole extent 0 255 0 255 0 197.

Strangely, I wrote a simple test for this reader and the warning is not
thrown. The test set the file path, updates, then changes the file path and
updates again. The warning appears in a more complicated pipeline.

The odd is that I implemented the RequestUpdateExtent, that simply returns
the Superclass::RequestUpdateExtent result. In the simple test, this
function is called at each pipeline update. In the full application, it is
not called the second time (while requestInformation is correctly
called...).

I guess the pipeline does not notify correctly the reader to change the
update extent. But why?
I found this thread which may be close to my issue :
http://markmail.org/search/?q=update_extent+not+updated#query:update_extent%20not%20updated+page:1+mid:xmi3dp3xqbnp2hzv+state:results

Thanks a lot !
Jerome