[vtk-developers] Windows Intel HD 2000 not working with new rendering backend

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Feb 11 09:09:31 EST 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Ken Martin <ken.martin at kitware.com> wrote:
> You can use renWin->SupportsOpenGL() to see if the system is supported. It
> tries to do this gracefully.
>
> The minimum requirement right now is OpenGL 2.1 with the shader4 extension.
> From what I can see on the web intel HD 2000 should support that but clearly
> glew does not think so. Maybe the shader4 extension is not exposed on the
> 2.1 context?

I will investigate making the application fail more gracefully. The
card seems to be conforming to what Intel stated - OpenGL 3.1. The VTK
code is rejecting it, so I guess it is not exposed or not available.
This is the on-die GPU with an i7 chip, it was working pretty well in
previous tests but I guess we tightened up the feature checking.

Marcus