[vtk-developers] Compilation error hdf5

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Wed Feb 10 17:54:36 EST 2016

if you look closely at the initial output from cmake you will see:
--  * vtkhdf5, needed by 2 modules:
        vtkIOAMR
        vtknetcdf

ok, lets see why those two are on:

--  * vtknetcdf, needed by 5 modules:
        vtkIOMINC
        vtkIONetCDF
        vtkIOParallel
        vtkIOParallelNetCDF
        vtkexodusII

It looks hard to disable netcdf, so instead see edit
ThirdParty/netcdf/vtknetcdf/CMakeLists.txt to make sure USE_NETCDF4 stays
OFF (line 235 and 237)

--  * vtkIOAMR, needed by 6 modules:
        VTK_Group_StandAlone
        vtkFiltersAMR-Test-Cxx
        vtkFiltersAMR-Test-Python
        vtkIOAMR-Test-Cxx
        vtkIOGeometry-Test-Cxx
        vtkIOGeometry-Test-Python

Turn off BUILD_TESTING will hit most of that. Then edit IO/AMR/module.cmake
to take IO/AMR out of the StandAlone group.

Then you'll get netcdf3 and not hdf5.

Alternatively you might turn off all Groups and pick and choose just the
modules you care about.

hth

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.