[vtk-developers] Checking SMP backend at runtime/compiletime?

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Tue Feb 9 11:27:00 EST 2016

Sean if you have not done so already you may want to also read the short
but sweet vtkSMPTools pdf
<http://m.vtk.org/Wiki/images/3/3b/VTK_SMP_Guide.pdf> that Berk wrote. It's
a good introduction.

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 10:46:44 -0500, Sujin Philip said:
>
> >vtkSMPTools is a framework for implementing multi-threaded algorithms in
> >VTK. It support several backends. The main ones are TBB and OpenMP. There
> >are Kaapi and Simple backends which are no longer supported and will be
> >removed soon.
>
> And this stuff is in Common/Core/SMP?  The "Simple" one seems to be based
> on vtkMultiThreader and thus pthreads (on unix), correct?
>
> I've only done a quick grep, but I don't see anything in there about the
> "Simple" one being deprecated.
>
> >Finally, the default backend is Sequential which is just a
> >single threaded implementation of the framework. After removal of the
> Kaapi
> >and Simple backend, if you need multithreading support on Clang you would
> >have to use TBB. The Sequential backend will be supported on all
> platforms.
>
> Is TBB included in VTK?  It doesn't seem to to be.  It seems to me that
> removing the Simple backend would mean that you'd remove a whole bunch of
> multithreading when building a default build with the default compiler on
> OS X.  That seems horrible.  But hopefully I'm misunderstanding things
> here...
>
> Have you thought about using std::thread, std::mutex and the like?
>
> Cheers,

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc. - Building the World's Technical Computing Software
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065
will.schroeder at kitware.com
http://www.kitware.com