[vtk-developers] google summer of code 2016 - project ideas and mentor volunteers

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Feb 9 11:02:49 EST 2016

Hey gang,

It is GSoC application time again and we need project ideas and mentors for
those projects. See http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/GSoC_2016 for the idea list
and do feel free to edit it directly if you like.

The project ideas list is a key part of our application to have VTK taken
up and for students to be funded under GSoC. Since most students base their
proposals directly on ideas in it, it is also a big part of what we can
expect to get out of the summer.

So, if you've got ideas for things that you would like to see
college/graduate students do with or to VTK over the summer, please add
them to the list. Ideally the ideas should have some sort of wow factor
(like Andy Bauer's proposal last year for motion amplification in VTK) in
order to entice students to apply to VTK over all the other organizations.

Each project needs at least one mentor. Advisors should know VTK well and
be able to commit to spending something like two to six hours per week
advising a remote student. Keep in mind that the coaching and talent
development aspect is perhaps the most important goal of GSoC,  so mentors
should be able to engage their students throughout and attempt to groom
them to become regular contributors.

thanks
David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.