[vtk-developers] Checking SMP backend at runtime/compiletime?

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Feb 9 10:28:47 EST 2016

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 09:13:48 -0500, Sujin Philip said:

>Why would you want to continue using vtkMultiThreader when Sequential or
>Simple is used? In fact, now that there is an openmp backend, we should be
>removing simple. It was only there to ease debugging since tbb had very
>complex back-traces. Openmp back-traces are much more readable. Do you want
>the algorithm to be multithreaded even when Sequential is used?

I don't know the APIs you're discussing, so this comment is coming mostly from ignorance, but: are you talking about requiring OpenMP to build VTK?  Clang has only very recently added OpenMP support, and IIRC it's not complete.  Also, last I checked, Apple's fork of clang doesn't support it at all.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com