[vtk-developers] Checking SMP backend at runtime/compiletime?

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 17:50:52 EST 2016

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Sujin Philip <sujin.philip at kitware.com>
wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> There is no official API to find out what the back-end is. I don't think
> there is a simple hack either. The back-end is supposed to be transparent
> to the user with the only visible difference being the performance. Why do
> you want to know?

It's for the new vtkSMPTools implementation of vtkThreadedImageAlgorithm.
It would be nice if it could automatically default to using vtkSMPTools if
a suitable backend is present, or use vtkMultiThreader if a vtkSMPTools
backend is "Sequential" or "Simple".

Also, if there is no way to know what the backend is, then isn't it
"opaque" rather than "transparent"?  :)

 - David