[vtk-developers] MTime Olympics

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Fri Aug 12 15:20:45 EDT 2016

Oh, I am fine with the approach you took Bill and so haven't pushed the
other changes I have locally. I just want the 32bit issue fixed as I think
that is really important. I am flexible on how it gets fixed.

I am not a fan of introducing another typedef as I feel it makes the code
harder to understand, but that is a really small issue and I can definitely
live with the typedef. vtkTypeUInt64 is a typedef as well so, meh. So once
your topic is baked let's get it committed.

Ken

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Folks,
>
> We have two topics that fix the Windows mtime overflow issue for
> Windows. This seems like a critical issue for Windows apps that run
> for a long time (e.g. surgical applications).
>
> Topic 1:
> https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/1724
> Files changed: 376
>
> Topic 2:
> https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/1790
> Files changed: 471
>
> The major difference is that topic 1 defines MTime as an unsigned long
> and topic 2 introduces a new type vtkTypeMTime.
>
> Topic 2 could be easily changed to use unsigned long for the mtime.
>
> Please take some time to review these topics. I suspect that some
> combination of the two will help solve the problem.
>
> Bill

Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065
518 371 3971

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.