[vtk-developers] possible bug in vtk 7.1 - OpenGL2

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Fri Aug 12 13:02:25 EDT 2016

What happens if you remove the TextureMapToPlane? PlaneSource generates
texture coordinate by default. So connect that directly to the mapper and
what happens?

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Roberto Gori <r.gori at cineca.it> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry for cross-posting but no one is answering to my question on the
> vtkusers list.
>
> As you can see running this code the plane is visualized without texture.
>
> I think the problem is in rendering a texture on a vtkFollower.
> Can someone open a bug on Mantis?
>

> #include <vtkImageData.h>
> #include <vtkJPEGReader.h>
> #include <vtkPolyDataMapper.h>
> #include <vtkPolyData.h>
> #include <vtkSmartPointer.h>
> #include <vtkTextureMapToPlane.h>
> #include <vtkPlaneSource.h>
> #include <vtkTexture.h>
> #include <vtkRenderer.h>
> #include <vtkRenderWindow.h>
> #include <vtkRenderWindowInteractor.h>
> #include <vtkFollower.h>
> #include <vtkVersion.h>
>
> int main ( int argc, char *argv[] )
> {
> // Parse command line arguments
> if ( argc != 2 )
> {
> std::cerr << "Usage: " << argv[0] << " Filename" << std::endl;
> return EXIT_FAILURE;
> }
>
> std::cout << "VTK version:" << vtkVersion::GetVTKVersion() << std::endl;
>
> std::string inputFilename = argv[1];
>
> // Read the image which will be the texture
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkJPEGReader> jPEGReader =
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkJPEGReader>::New();
> jPEGReader->SetFileName ( inputFilename.c_str() );
>
> // Create a plane
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkPlaneSource> plane =
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkPlaneSource>::New();
> plane->SetCenter(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
> plane->SetNormal(0.0, 0.0, 1.0);
>
> // Apply the texture
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkTexture> texture =
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkTexture>::New();
> texture->SetInputConnection(jPEGReader->GetOutputPort());
>
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkTextureMapToPlane> texturePlane =
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkTextureMapToPlane>::New();
> texturePlane->SetInputConnection(plane->GetOutputPort());
>
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyDataMapper> planeMapper =
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyDataMapper>::New();
> planeMapper->SetInputConnection(texturePlane->GetOutputPort());
>
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkFollower> texturedPlane =
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkFollower>::New();
> texturedPlane->SetMapper(planeMapper);
> texturedPlane->SetTexture(texture);
>

> // Visualize the textured plane
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderer> renderer =
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderer>::New();
> renderer->AddActor(texturedPlane);
>
> renderer->SetBackground(.1, .2, .3); // Background color dark blue
> renderer->ResetCamera();
>
> texturedPlane->SetCamera(renderer->GetActiveCamera());
>

> vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderWindow> renderWindow =
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderWindow>::New();
> renderWindow->AddRenderer(renderer);
>
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderWindowInteractor> renderWindowInteractor =
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderWindowInteractor>::New();
> renderWindowInteractor->SetRenderWindow(renderWindow);
>
> renderWindow->Render();
>
> renderWindowInteractor->Start();

> [...]

Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065
518 371 3971

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.