[vtk-developers] Add GetModifiedTime deprecate GetMTime

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Aug 5 16:48:54 EDT 2016

On 08/05/16 16:40, Sean McBride wrote:
> If VTK itself made this mistake, then so could other code.

Yes, but fixing such overload combinations will be a bug fix for the
other code too.  Once fixed, it will work with any VTK version without
any conditions.

>> All such overloading
>> cases are buggy.  When trying to enumerate all supported types one
>> should use only the fundamental type names.  Using the typedefs is
>> buggy because we make no guarantee about what type will be selected.
>
> Agreed, but still.  I'm not convinced it's a good tradeoff.

I'm trudging through the overload fixes within VTK because they are
worthwhile either way.  We can always use the vtkTypeMTime approach
instead.

> But if it's decided to change the definition of vtkTypeUInt64,
> then maybe now is the time to have a case like:
>
> #if __cplusplus >= c++11
> typedef std::uint64_t vtkTypeUInt64;

Once overloading cases are fixed then this is certainly a possibility.

-Brad