[vtk-developers] Add GetModifiedTime deprecate GetMTime

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Aug 5 16:16:09 EDT 2016

On 08/05/16 16:10, Sean McBride wrote:
> You mean to change vtkTypeUInt64 to become 'unsigned long' instead
> of 'unsigned long long' (in the case where they are both 64 bit,
> that is, on UNIX)?  Isn't that risky too?  Isn't C++ very picky
> about types?  Can't one have function/method overload differing
> only by type, ie:
>
> 	int foo(long a);
> 	int foo(long long a);
>
> so someone might have;
>
> 	int foo(long a);
> 	int foo(vtkTypeInt64 a);
>
> then your change would break that.  Not all that likely, but,
> I dunno... I wouldn't change vtkTypeUInt64 like that...
> (what I would do (one day) is redefine all those in terms of
> the C++11 fixed sized types, but that's another topic).

Yes, and IO/SQL/vtkSQLQuery.h has such a case.  All such overloading
cases are buggy.  When trying to enumerate all supported types one
should use only the fundamental type names.  Using the typedefs is
buggy because we make no guarantee about what type will be selected.

Such cases in VTK itself will have to be fixed along with this change.
See the MR I posted in another response.

-Brad