[vtk-developers] Are mappers Update()'d before actors are rendered ?

Julien Finet julien.finet at kitware.com
Tue Aug 2 04:55:18 EDT 2016

Hi David and all,

According to your comment in
vtkImageActor::HasTranslucentPolygonalGeometry(),
mappers are updated before their actors are rendered.

It does not seem to be the case in my workflow. Where is this Update()
supposed to happen ?

My problem is that when vtkImageSlice::RenderOpaqueGeometry() is called the
first time, the mapper has never been updated, the image data has no
scalars array, and vtkImageSlice::Render() is called within
vtkImageSlice::RenderOpaqueGeometry(). It updates the mapper, so next time
RenderTranslucentPolygonalGeometry() is called, Render() is called a second
time (because this time I have a scalars array).

Did I miss something ? Please note that I'm using a custom vtkFollower with
my image actor.

Thanks,
Julien.