[vtk-developers] SPH Interpolator

Favre Jean jfavre at cscs.ch
Fri Apr 22 10:28:27 EDT 2016

Hello

First of all, congrats on this new functionality. I am using it with results from an SPH simulation using the GADGET code[1]

Our scientists are asking some pretty specific questions about the SPH kernels:

Do you adopt a fixed kernel size for all particles or do you calculate it by adopting a certain number of neighbours? Do you use the scatter method (distributing each SPH particle on the grid) or the gather method (gathering the contribution of all SPH particles which are close enough to each grid point)?

They further comment that "to calculate physical quantities, such as column density etc. , these details become important. For instance, it is important to know if the SPH interpolation scheme which is used is conserving the total mass or not when we map the mass from SPH distribution onto a uniform grid, which depend on the details of the SPH interpolation."

If the Density and Mass arrays are set, [I use]:

interpolator = vtkSPHInterpolator()
interpolator.SetKernel(sphKernel)
interpolator.SetDensityArrayName("Density")
interpolator.SetMassArrayName("Mass")

can I assume the above to be true?

Thanks for clarifying these points. I anticipate some really good use of this new Interpolator.

[1] http://wwwmpa.mpa-garching.mpg.de/gadget/