[vtk-developers] ExternalData and regression images

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Thu Apr 14 18:10:38 EDT 2016

IMO the workflow for creating regression test images could be significantly
improved. The incantations require multiple, non-intuitive steps and on
occasions (when things go wrong) the sacraficing of a goat. I'd really like
a simple macro/function (in a python test for example) to create a
regression test image, put it in the right place, and even upload it all in
one shot. Simply "CreateRTImage(renWin,forceReplace)" which would create a
new image if one is not available, otherwise do nothing, etc. And force a
replacement if needed.

Similarly simple processes for dropping in any alternative _1, _2,
regression test images (cutting and pasting from the dashboard rt images).
And ways to easily recover and move back and forth between md5 and png. I
know some of this is available, but it takes a lot
of documentation digestion to really understand the process which can be
hard for newbies or those who code infrequently. Of most concern I think
the process is cumbersome enough that it discourages adding new tests.

Best,

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 5:40 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> I did "git gitlab-push" yesterday when I first encountered this problem.
> And today I rebased the commit and did "git gitlab-push --force".  The
> magic still didn't happen. Much unhappiness.
>
> But when I did everything over from scratch, it worked (as mentioned
> in my first email, this was someone else's MR, so I'm not sure what
> the order of operations was the first time around).
>
>  - David
>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 7:13 AM, Cory Quammen <cory.quammen at kitware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> As Mathieu said,
>>
>> git gitlab-push
>>
>> does the magic. If you rebase and need to force push on a topic, you can
>> do
>>
>> git gitlab-push -f
>>
>> Cory
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 2:00 AM, Mathieu Westphal
>> <mathieu.westphal at kitware.com> wrote:
>> > Usually, what i need to do is :
>> >
>> > 1. Copy image into baseline directory
>> > 2. run cmake, check for "staged" output
>> > 3. run make, check for "download" output
>> > 4. git add the md5 file, which has now taken place of your file in
>> baseline
>> > dir
>> > 5. Commit all you need to commit
>> > 6. git gitlab-push ( magic happens here )
>> >
>> > Mathieu Westphal

>> Filters/General/Testing/Data/Baseline/.ExternalData_MD5_9dcc0e95cafb270cddfd482186180ab5

>> http://markmail.org/search/?q=vtk-developers

>> http://markmail.org/search/?q=vtk-developers

>> --
>> Cory Quammen
>> R&D Engineer
>> Kitware, Inc.

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc. - Building the World's Technical Computing Software
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065
will.schroeder at kitware.com
http://www.kitware.com