[vtk-developers] Flying Edges

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Fri Sep 11 16:11:17 EDT 2015

FYI- vtkFlyingEdges2D and vtkFlyingEdges3D have been merged into VTK
proper. Thanks to help from Rob, Sujin, Bill L., Utkarsh, Sankhesh and many
others...

We will be presenting a paper at LDAV 2015 <http://www.ldav.org/> in
October. (Ask me for a preview copy of you are interested.)

Benchmarking indicates this is a very fast isocontouring algorithm,
especially if you have multiple cores your machine (without generating
seams or requiring point merging...build VTK with TBB using vtkSMPTools).
So far we've run it on 2048^3 volumes with up to 160 threads, it runs
great. Like any new algorithm I'm sure there are warts and implementation
issues, so I'd enjoy hearing feedback. Maybe someday we'll slip it under
the hood of vtkContourFilter, but I want to make sure it is rock solid
first.

If you are really ambitious, there is room for further improvement in the
implementation including parallelizing the prefix_sum (third pass), and in
the fourth pass (decoupling the topology and geometry generation). I can
tell you more if you are interested.

Best,

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Will Schroeder <will.schroeder at kitware.com

--