[vtk-developers] PROPOSAL: Changing VTK's indentation style

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 20:13:37 EDT 2015

Hi Berk,
   Here is my two cents worth. Unfortunately the internet matter
transporter is down again, So you will just have to put up with a picture
:-) Yes they do exist and were in wide use until withdrawn from circulation.

Given that the comments have been overwhelmingly positive about
implementing a formatting change, select what you think is best and just do
it. We'll fit in with whatever you think is best.

Now that VTK 6.3 is out of the way I think now is the best time to do it
for VTK 7.0. Then we can get on with improving VTK!

Things to consider:
1) It would be nice if the formatting style is one of those already
existing in the major IDE's in use, Visual Studio, XCode, QTCreator. Of
course the existing one would be subject to simple changes such as
replacing tabs with spaces and two white spaces instead of four. Those
still using Vim and Emacs should be able to easily cope with these changes.
SUblime Text should work well in this case too.
2) git blame needs to be able to cope with the changes.
3) The git hooks need changing.
4) All the existing code needs to be retroformatted. Presumably you will
write a script to do this. It would be a good idea to add this script
(python?) to Utilities so that the Slicer people and others can easily
reformat their code if so desired.

retroformat ... I think its a new word!

Regards
   Andrew