[vtk-developers] PROPOSAL: Changing VTK's indentation style

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 13:01:21 EDT 2015

Once again, a +1 for a change, but I wish we could spend more cycles
on this that have more impact like new algorithms, external
contributions, code coverage, etc...

In defense of the current vtk style (whitesmith) that so many people
hate, according to wikipedia: Whitesmiths along with Allman have been
the most common bracing styles with equal mind shares according to the
Jargon File

"Whitesmiths along with Allman have been the most common bracing
styles with equal mind shares according to the Jargon File"
and the advantages of Whitesmith are:

The advantages of this style are similar to those of the Allman style
in that blocks are clearly set apart from control statements. Another
advantage is the alignment of the braces with the block that
emphasizes the fact that the entire block is conceptually (as well as
programmatically) a single compound statement. Furthermore, indenting
the braces emphasizes that they are subordinate to the control
statement. Another advantage of this style is that the ending brace no
longer lines up with the statement, but instead with the opening
brace.