[vtk-developers] OSMesa regression

Dan Lipsa dan.lipsa at kitware.com
Tue Sep 8 13:36:17 EDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Dan Lipsa <dan.lipsa at kitware.com> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
> I am not sure why you got the link error with your initial combination of
> parameters.
> VTK_USE_X=ON overrides VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA=ON so the QT modules should
> have linked fine. They do link on my machine. Do you have a CMakeCache.txt?
> In that case, there is no offscreen rendering though.

Actually, I misstated - I did not see the Qt modules linking. I seen the
second link error I mentioned, the one in Rendering/OpenGL. After I fixed
that the Qt modules linked fine. So do you mind trying the branch in my
merge request to see if that fixes the problems you seen. Thanks,
Dan

> I did get the link error for VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA=ON and VTK_USE_X=OFF as
> QVTKWidget needs X. I have a merge request that excludes Qt modules
> if VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA=ON
>
> I also got a link error for VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA=ON and VTK_USE_X=ON
> because some cxx files in Rendering/OpenGL used code ifdef
> with VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA instead of VTK_USE_OSMESA.
>
> The merge request that fixes these problems is:
>
> https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/637
>
> All these were parameter combinations not test by our dashboards. When we
> wanted OSMESA we did VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA=ON and VTK_USE_X=OFF and we
> disabled the Qt modules.
>
> Dan
>

> On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Dan Lipsa <dan.lipsa at kitware.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bill,
>> I'll look into it.
>>
>> Dan
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> More information...
>>>
>>> This build uses off screen rendering with os mesa. The system has qt
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> Originally I had these settings. Worked OK until the git bisect commit.
>>> VTK_BUILD_ALL_MODULES:BOOL=ON
>>> VTK_USE_OFFSCREEN:BOOL=ON
>>> VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA:BOOL=ON
>>> VTK_USE_X:BOOL=ON