[vtk-developers] [vtk-users] OpenGL2 - GPU Volume Rendering performance

Simon ESNEAULT simon.esneault at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 13:47:56 EDT 2015

Hi All,

We are trying to make the switch to the new OpenGL2 backend for our
application, and although the switch was easy (thanks for not breaking the
API ;) ), we can see a significant slowdown on the GPU volume rendering
part, especially during interaction. Typically we dropped from 15/20 fps to
7/8 fps, on the same machine (Win32, Nvidia Quadro K420), with the same
code around.

This slow down can be seen in ParaView, if you compare the latest 4.4
OpenGL2 build with the classic 4.4 build while volume rendering a big
enough volume (512^3)

The blog post here
http://www.kitware.com/blog/home/post/976
claims that the new GPU volume rendering implementation should be faster
than the old one, is there some more detailed explanation somewhere ? Are
there some important parameters that can make the difference ?

Thanks,

Simon

PS : The polygonal rendering seems a lot faster with the new backend !

Simon Esneault
Rennes, France