[vtk-developers] Add python version to all vtk libs that have python dependency

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 00:25:21 EDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel at kitware.com> wrote:

> Understood, but the library itself is not the only thing which needs
> duplicated between the two installs. Looking around a bit:
>
>   - vtkPythonConfigure.h;
>   - headers for any Python-using modules[1];
>   - Rendering/Matplotlib (uses vtkPythonInterpreter);
>   - Parallel/MPI4Py (see below for why this is another big hurdle);
>   - Rendering/Tk (not sure if these are version agnostic though);
>   - Web/Core (uses Py_* calls); and
>   - vtkxdmf2 has some Python code in it.

Some good news is, the version dependency of vtkPythonConfigure.h
can probably be removed now, I don't think it is needed anymore.
All the headers can be made to work with either version of Python
(most already do).

RenderingTk is agnostic, it's pure Tcl/Tk even when used from
Python. The Web stuff is, as far as I understand, stuck with
Python 2 due to the third party stuff it uses.

The other python-dependent modules are all doable, it will just
require ugly multiplicity.  And dealing with exported targets will
be really ugly, too.

But t's worth taking some baby steps in the right direction.  I can
remove VTK_PYTHON_VERSION from vtkPythonConfigure.h,
at the very least.

 - David