[vtk-developers] Add python version to all vtk libs that have python dependency

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 17:00:29 EDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 2:48 PM, Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel at kitware.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 22:46:00 -0600, David Gobbi wrote:
> > Currently it isn't feasible for copies of VTK that were built
> > against different versions of Python to be installed under
> > the same install prefix, because libs like vtkFiltersPython
> > would conflict between different Python versions.
> >
> > I propose renaming such libs to e.g. vtkFiltersPythonPy27
> > to indicate what version of the Python libs they link to.
> > Something similar was already done for the wrapper libs, e.g.
> > vtkCommonCorePython27D is CommonCore's wrapper lib.
> >
> > The renaming can be done automatically for any module lib
> > that depends on Python, as shown in this merge request:
> > https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/729
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> So…what about modules which *link* to vtkFiltersPython or
> vtkPythonInterpreter? Which one do you get? It should be the Python that
> is *currently* found in the finding project, but who knows?

Only the filename is changed, not the target name.  CMake
uses target names to deal with dependencies.

The only real problem is when non-CMake projects try to find
these libraries.

This will need module logic awareness to duplicate any modules (and
> tests) which link to a versioned library to build for all versions. The
> file dropped in the Modules/ directory should also have this suffix so
> that vtkFiltersPython27 can coexist with vtkFiltersPython34.

My motivation is to make it possible for the distro folks (e.g.
debian, arch linux) to build vtk packages... and I agree that
module awareness of duplicate libraries would be a very nice
thing (if someone has the time).

I don't think building a single VTK with Python2 and Python3 from one
> build tree is feasible (nevermind multiple versions of either Python2 or
> Python3 in the same build).

What of the distro folks then?  I think we should at least try to meet
them halfway.

 - David