[vtk-developers] Proposal on not retaining untreated events in the RenderWindowInteractor

Xabi Riobe xabivtk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 09:19:06 EDT 2015

Hi,

I would like to propose you some modifications in the window events
handling process.

I often face the annoyance of some events catched by vtk but not treated
that are not passed by and we can not receive in the upper level interface.

Concretely in vtkWin32RenderWindowInteractor, some keyboard keys "retained"
in vtkHandleMessage2 by OnKeyDown that i would like to use, but it applies
to every event.

My proposal is just to return a value (using the one from InvokeEvent) for
all the "OnXXX" methods instead of void, and if the event was not used,
pass it to CallWindowProc in vtkHandleMessage2.

I have a patch for this but i wanted to get your opinion on the idea before
creating a branch in GitLab if you know it has not a chance to be merged.

Thanks