[vtk-developers] int to bool patch, white space convention?

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Nov 16 23:35:20 EST 2015

Hi all,

I'm working on a patch that changes some VTK APIs that use 'int' to instead use 'bool'.  I've used a bunch of regexes to find vtkBooleanMacro uses, ex:

  vtkSetMacro\((.*),int\);\r  vtkGetMacro\(\1,int\);\r  vtkBooleanMacro\(\1,int\);

I've discovered there's a variety of a) whitespace b) ordering, ex:

  vtkSetMacro(foo, bool);
  vtkGetMacro(foo, bool);
  vtkBooleanMacro(foo, bool);

vs

  vtkBooleanMacro(bar,bool);
  vtkSetMacro(bar,bool);
  vtkGetMacro(bar,bool);

Shall I take this opportunity to make everything uniform?

The most common form is:

  vtkSetMacro(foo,int);
  vtkGetMacro(foo,int);
  vtkBooleanMacro(foo,int);

The 2nd most common is the same order, but with a space after the comma.  The style guide seems to have examples of both.  Is one preferred?

Here's my WIP:
<https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/917>

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com