[vtk-developers] Bug with pcoords[2] in vtkQuad::EvaluatePosition()

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Thu May 28 06:06:05 EDT 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:36 AM, Mathieu Westphal <
mathieu.westphal at kitware.com> wrote:

> i've encountered some pcoords[0] = -10 ( really old code, 1994 ), is it
> relevant in any way ?

Here's my guess:

Often in finite element (or some parameterized) formulations the parameter
t is assumed to lie in the range (-1<=t<=1). It could be that when this
code was first written that was the assumption; only later did we adjust
the parameterization to (0,1). If this was the case, then "marking" the
point to lie outside the parameter range then a value < -1 was used (i.e.,
-10). I'm not sure why you feel that you have to change this to -1 since
the number is arbitrary....

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc.
28 Corporate Drive