[vtk-developers] What's the equivalent of +2 now?

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Wed Mar 25 16:41:18 EDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 15:23:15 -0400, Sean McBride wrote:
> The "Develop VTK with Git" page does not make clear to me what the
> equivalent of +2 is now...
>
> - What's the difference between someone adding Acked-by vs Reviewed-by
>   vs Signed-off-by vs Tested-by?

My interpretations:

Acked-by    - "I see nothing wrong with the change" (which is all
              kwrobot's checks can do)
Reviewed-by - "I reviewed the change and agree with it" (we should
              probably use this rather than Acked-by for humans)
Tested-by   - "I tested the change and approve that it works" (buildbot
              will be using this along with Rejected-by and Acked-by)

Signed-off-by is typically used to signify "I understand that my
contribution is made under the license of the project and my patches are
licensed accordingly" and is for the submitter to add when making
commits and sending them to a list via git's format-patch / send-email
workflow. The act of submitting a merge request is taken as this
permission here. The manpage for git's format.signoff configuration:

    format.signoff
        A boolean value which lets you enable the -s/--signoff option of
        format-patch by default.  Note: Adding the Signed-off-by: line
        to a patch should be a conscious act and means that you certify
        you have the rights to submit this work under the same open
        source license. Please see the SubmittingPatches document for
        further discussion.

> - Which must be present for it to be considered agreed upon?
> - When do I know I can merge a change in?

The only hard gate right now is that kwrobot has OK'd the change. There
is a patch for kwrobot I need to finish to add in support for blocking
based on a developer's "Rejected-by" trailer and requiring at least one
Acked-by (or, better, Reviewed-by) from a developer that is not the
submitter.

--Ben